Thursday 16 January 2014

Glaucous Gull!!!

Finally. I finally busted my clean record of no Glaucous Gulls in British Columbia today.


I was at Kinsmen Park in Kelowna today, and I was searching through around 70 Herring Gulls, 9 Glaucous-winged Gulls, 10+ Glaucous-winged X Western Gulls, 8 Ring-billed Gulls, and 1 California Gull for something uncommon. I did pick out 2 Thayer's Gulls in the group, which is always nice, but the bird to come was the best of all. Briefly putting down my binoculars from scanning, I saw a very white gull swim out from a group of Herring. Raising the binos back up revealed a very large gull with a light gray back, thick neck, heavy head, thick beak, and the tell-tale feature: white primaries.


I had found my nemesis Glaucous Gull!!! An adult at that. Happy dance time......! :)



Glaucous Gull



No comments:

Post a Comment