Wednesday 5 March 2014

Catching up.....

I has been a looong time. FAR too long. I'm sorry I haven't updated; I've been busy as usual. Let's catch up on how birding's been for me the last month and a half.

January 23rd - Got two fly-over Cackling Geese near Munson Pond.
January 24th - Heard a Western Screech-Owl at Sutherland Hills Park at dusk
January 27th - Found a winter Northern Shoveler near the H20 swimming centre ( shovelers are rare in winter in the Okanagan. )
February 7th - Went to Abbotsford, getting a fly-away Gyrfalcon at Sumas Prairie - Happy Dance Lifer Time!!! :)
February 8th - Went to Boundary Bay, 72nd Street, and got both Long and Short-eared Owls! ( Short-eared Owl - Lifer #279 for BC! )

Short-eared Owl - Lifer #279 for British Columbia


Long-eared Owl

February 9th - Did a mini-big-day with Liron Gerstman, another 13 year old birder like me. We racked up 71 species for the day! :D Here are some of the highlights :


Double-crested Cormorants


Black-bellied Plover


Black Turnstone


American X Eurasian Wigeon hybrid


Inter-sex Northern Pintail


Black Oystercatcher


Eurasian Wigeon


Western Sandpiper


Snow Bunting


And finally..... the cute, adorable Dunlin!

March 5th - Oh, that's today! I heard a Ring-necked Pheasant along Spiers Road in Kelowna - year-bird #125, and saw my first of the yard Peregrine Falcon at my house- yard-bird #114!

Thank you for looking, and a three-part detailed report of my weekend from February 8th to 9th in the Lower Mainland is coming up very soon!

Have a great evening;

Logan :)

No comments:

Post a Comment